Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Summer Series - Project #1

IMG_8069

While I was sitting in the sort-of-sun on Saturday - I couldn't help but wish I was back home sewing.  Addicted much?!  So I did the next best thing, and came up with some of my own sewing designs.  I'm a little bit obsessed with repurposing towels at the moment, so each of my ideas revolved around beachy-towelly type crafting.  I will pop the tutorials for each project on here, as they are completed.  Today:

The Sandy Feet Door Mat
(All you need to complete the picture is a bucket of water next to your mat, for footsie cleaning!)

IMG_8069

Super easy project - perfect for a beginner!  It took me just over an hour to complete - start to finish

You will need:
Two small/medium sized towels (contrasting colours)
Scissors
Pins (I can't find my pincushion so I went renegade)
A sewing machine or needle and thread

Cut your pieces:
IMG_8052

Start with your jandal applique:
IMG_8059
IMG_8060
IMG_8061
IMG_8063
(you can either sew the straps the entire way along - or leave loose as I have, see next photo!)

IMG_8071

Now you can make your border:
IMG_8053
IMG_8056
IMG_8058
IMG_8068

Ta da!
IMG_8070
IMG_8073
Much cuter with little feet!

I don't actually live by the beach, so I gave this to my Ma who was visiting this morning.  They would be great for camping, if you are a super organised camper!  Or for your car - before those sandy feet climb inside.  You could just do it the old fashioned way and use a towel, but this is nicer don'tcha think?

12 comments:

  1. Cute! I love that you can actually put your feet in the jandals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cool! I've been wanting to make a bath mat with my girls footprints for ages now- i think i saw it in amanda blake soules 'handmade home' book. the jandal applique idea is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinned. I will do this even though it involves sewing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy shemoly, you are coolness personified! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. love! i seriously lol'd at the little feet! hehe so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute project and a great idea to keep one in the car for the beach :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a really cute idea! Love it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. seriously cute! I love E's feet in the pics. I might just have to make one

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so freaking fantabulous. I can't believe I haven't thought of a tray of water and a towel by the door to solve my 'lounge room turing into a sandpit' issues! Tho, it probably would turn into a game, and wet feet on wood floors are slippery. I can see one of these mats in my future x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding the functional sandal straps was super clever on your part - it will definitely encourage little feet to linger longer on the mat and thus remove more sand :)

    ReplyDelete