Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Book Review :: Nanette's Baguette

Nanette's Baguette - Mo Willems


"Today is the day Nanette gets to get the baguette! Is she set? YOU BET!"

Nanette's Baguette is fun!  If you love trying out a bad French accent in the safety of your own home, with an audience whose ears are too untrained to tell the difference, then this is the book you've been waiting for!  Seriously though, I was a little dubious at first, having never encountered Mo Willems *hides face*, but I'm so on board now!  Nanette's Baguette is just the right mix of funny and silly and very rhyme-y.

Okay, here's the trickier bit for me.  As you know by now, I'm all about the illustrations (aren't we all, though?).  I was like "yes!" as soon as I saw the cover.  Love the kitsch diner vibe!  I do like the style of his drawings, and Nanette's expressions are perfect.  Furthermore, the paper village is spot on, and I love the comic book stylings.  Buuuut.  I really didn't love the layout.  It's a small thing, but it matters.  The shadow boxes in particular gets a 'no' from me.  I would've been so happy with a white background and comic style frames...

Not gonna let it stop me from loving this book though!  Perhaps I'm totally behind the curve (wouldn't come as a massive surprise), and shadow boxes are back in, along with a bunch of other 90's trends that I'm still not ready for...

Okay moving on, here's a v. cool behind-the-scenes timelapse of the making of, that made me want to DIY a paper village asap.  So.  Cool.

Are you a Mo Willems fan?  Which of his books do you recommend we try next?

Nanette's Baguette is out in paperback now so go check it!

Review kindly supplied by Walker Books

No comments:

Post a Comment